Required Tax Documents
Tax return preparation for international visitors of all immigration types requires gathering a
variety of information as a necessary precondition of return preparation.
For persons on-campus, coming to the appointment without all of these documents may result in denial of service. If that were to happen, you would be allowed to request only one additional appointment before April 15.
All of the following that apply to you must be brought to your appointment:
- Your Tax Profile report with all blank lines filled in. The online process saves your answers to the questions asked and presents them to you in the Tax Profile Report. You must print that and bring it with you to your tax appointment. [For those filing by email, notify the TAP when your profile has been completed. Print a copy to include with your copy of the completed tax returns that will be mailed to you. The TAP will print a copy of your profile for inclusion in the tax file it builds to prepare your returns.]
- Your online appointment confirmation report (applies only to on-campus ASP appointments)
- Your actual visa and passport documents [email clients supply photo copies of current documents]; if you are claiming dependents, bring the passport and visa of each dependent claimed
- Your I-20 (if your immigration type is F-1) [email clients supply photo copy of current document] OR
- Your DS-2019 (if your immigration type is J-1) [email clients supply photo copy of current document]
- Your photoID (Indiana or other state driver's license)
- Your Notre Dame ID card showing ndID number [email clients supply photo copy of current document]
- Your original US SSN card sent you by the Social Security Administration; do not use numbers issued by your home country [email clients only: supply photo copy of current document]; if you are claiming dependents, bring the SSN cards for each dependent claimed
- Your ITIN award letter (to be used only when you do not have a US SSN and have already received an ITIN number)
- Your check book, which carries bank routing and account numbers [and checks, if payment is necessary.]
- Your W-2 forms (a W-2 from each employer during tax year) and/or
- All 1042-S forms (issued for treaty exemption, or various taxable income types -- those transferring from other institutions during the tax year must contact the predecessor institution to determine if a 1040-S was or will be issued; if so, obtain the form before setting a TAP appointment ) and/or
- Any 1099 forms (from employers (-MISC), financial institutions (-INT, -DIV, etc.), or government (-GOV)) [many people do not receive form 1099-MISC, but some summer internships use only this form for payment]
- Any other income and/or gain(loss) documents, for example: brokerage statements of stock transactions, bank reports of interest earned, state government statements of refunds sent to the tax payer, etc.
- Any evidence of taxable living expense scholarships; these are amounts left over after tuition has been fully paid
- Any evidence of honoraria, prizes, awards, lottery or gambling winnings, refunds, or other income
- Your copy of prior tax year federal & state tax returns (if this tax year is your second or later year of presence in the US)
If you are uncertain about some of these documents, email your question to the TAP