The Career Center can help you find and fund an internship experience.
MENDOZA COLLEGE OF BUSINESS INTERNSHIP CREDIT
The Mendoza College of Business allows undergraduate business students to earn limited academic credits for internship opportunities: Students may earn one (1) academic credit per internship
Internship credit may only be awarded twice
Internship credits are graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U)
To qualify for academic credit, the internship, whether paid or unpaid, must be a professional work experience related to the student's business major.
Internship Credit Information
The Mendoza College of Business College Council has approved allowing one academic credit awarded for internship participation to count toward degree credit requirements.
- Business students are limited to earning internship credit twice (total of 2.0 credits)
- BAUG 25000* does not count toward degree-seeking credits (126)
- BAUG 35500* does count toward degree-seeking credits (126)
- Internship credits may be assigned in the same semester of the internship (NOTE: Internship credits in the summer will not be charged summer school tuition fees)
* See course descriptions below
Internship Credit Information for students with f-1 status
Mendoza College of Business undergraduate students with F-1 status now have the option of applying for the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) as well as the Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment authorizations. Students may receive CPT work authorization only once through the Mendoza College of Business. Students must apply for these work authorizations through the Immigration Services Office (http://issa.nd.edu/). Additionally, students must submit an Internship Credit Application to the Mendoza College of Business prior to the start of the internship to ensure that the internship meets requirements.
PROCEDURE TO OBTAIN Internship Credit
Before the Internship:
- Fill out the online Internship Application; students may access this form through their MCOB UG tab on insideND. Copies of the offer letter and job description must be attached to the application. The job description must include specific tasks and responsibilities that will be required of the intern. Examples of appropriate supporting documentation are available here and on the actual application: Offer Letter Job Description
Deadline for all Summer 2013 Internship Credit Applications is Tuesday, July 31, 2013.
You will receive a confirmation email that your internship has been approved for credit within three weeks of your application.
After the internship:
Students: At the end of your internship you will receive a survey to complete a self-assessment your employment. You will receive the link to this survey (from www.surveymonkey.com) in mid-August; the survey must be completed in a timely manner in order to receive a Satisfactory (S) grade for this course.
Employers: Your employer must also submit an evaluation following your employment. We will send the survey link directly to your employer; their reply is sent directly to our office. You will be notified if your employer has not filled out your evaluation in a timely manner. Your employer will receive a link to complete the survey in mid-August.
DEADLINE for submission of Student and Employer evaluations is Friday, October 27, 2013
To complete the requirements to receive a Satisfactory (S) grade for internship credit, students must also submit a reflection paper about their summer internship experience. This paper should be between 3-5 pages and must contain:
- Description of the employment responsibilities
- Discussion of how this employment related to your major and/or business curriculum
- Description of courses that you had taken that were particularly useful in your internship or that would have been useful prior to the employment
- Courses that would have been helpful in your internship
- Insight into this industry and how this has impacted your career plans
DEADLINE for submission of Reflection Paper is Friday, October 27, 2013
Dr. Gina V. Shropshire
101 Mendoza College of Business
Notre Dame, IN 46556
Ph. (574) 631-6602
Fx. (574) 631-3565
BAUG 25000 - Internship I
Internship credit for undergraduate students in the Mendoza College of Business who have secured an internship that relates directly to their major area of study following their sophomore year. Requirements to receive this credit include submitting an application for credit before the internship begins and submitting appropriate evaluations immediately following the internship. Per evaluation from the employer, students must complete the internship successfully to receive credit. Credit is granted by permission only and may not be repeated.
NOTE: Credit for BAUG 25000 does not apply towards graduation credits in the Mendoza College of Business
BAUG 35500 - Internship Practicum (*)
Internship credit for undergraduate students in the Mendoza College of Business who have secured a summer internship that relates directly to their major area of study following their junior year. Requirements to receive this credit include submitting an application for credit before the internship begins and submitting appropriate evaluations immediately following the internship. Per evaluation from the employer, students must complete the internship successfully to receive credit. Credit is granted by permission only and may not be repeated.
NOTE: Credit for BAUG 35500 does apply towards graduation credits in the Mendoza College of Business.
(*) Definition of “Practicum: – noun; (in a college or university) the part of a course consisting of practical work in a particular field.
Origin: 1900–05; < Latin, neuter of prācticus practice
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2011.