Current Undergraduate Students


Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions we receive. If we have not addressed your question here, please call 574-631-6602 or visit us at 101 Mendoza

Questions about the advising process

Q: Who is my academic advisor?

A: Students in the Mendoza College of Business are not restrictedto a particular advisor. Students may work with any available advisor or may choose to work only with the advisor of his or her choice. To learn more about the staff in the Office of Undergraduate Studies, click here. While walk-in advising is available, it is strongly recommended that you call 574-631-6602 to make an appointment.

Q. Where is the Office of Undergraduate Studies and when is it open?

A.  Academic Advising is in 101 Mendoza

      Advising hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday with the exception of Tuesday when we open to students at 9:30 a.m.

      Summer advising hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Q: How often should I see my advisor?

A: You should meet with your advisor on a regular basis – at least once per semester, based on your personal and academic goals. As those goals change, it is important that you have support and guidance to make the best decisions.

Q. What should I bring with me when I meet with an advisor?

A.  It is very important for you to be prepared with the right questions and to bring any pertinent paperwork you have received regarding your situation. Prior to your meeting, review your plan of study and the Graduation Progress System audit (GPS) available on insideND. 

Questions about choosing a major

Q: I can't wait to get started on my major. When can I declare?

A. Students will select a major after they have experienced all of the business principles courses.

Typically, students will start their major courses in the fall of their junior year.

Q: May I switch my major?

A: Changing a major requires that a student complete an academic program selection form. These forms may be found in the Office of Undergraduate Studies in Room 101 Mendoza. If you are changing to another business major, you will need to submit a revised Plan of Study showing that you can complete the requirements and meet with an advisor to get approval for the change.

Q: What should I do to add a second major, minor or concentration?

A: Students are encouraged to first research the requirements of such an addition by meeting with an advisor in the secondary department. After doing so, we recommend that you sit down with an advisor to determine how it will fit into your business curriculum.

You will then complete a change form available in the Office of Undergraduate Studies in Room 101 Mendoza and get it signed by the second department.

Q: May I declare two majors in the College of Business?

A: No. The college does not have the capacity to offer students two majors. Business courses outside your major may be taken with departmental approval on a space-available basis.

Questions about International Study

Q: I am interested in international study. How do I get started?

A: It is imperative that all students wishing to study abroad (regardless of year) speak with an advisor immediately. This meeting will allow students to determine how study abroad fits into their curriculum and goals.  First Year students should meet with their First Year advisor to discuss this option.

Q: Where can I study abroad? Is there a country that business students tend to go?

A: Notre Dame offers a number of sites around the world for undergraduate students to study. More information can be found at the Office of International Study, 105 Main Building or by visiting  While business students go to a variety of countries, business courses are available in Fremantle, Australia; Dublin, Ireland; London, England; and Rome, Italy.

Q: I did not get into a Notre Dame International Study program. What do I do now?

A. Notre Dame offers a variety of international study opportunities. If your initial application was not accepted and you are still interested in international study, you should contact the Office of International Study to learn about any additional international study programs that are still accepting applications.

Q: I would like to study in an international city where Notre Dame does not have a program. May I do this?

A. Students are not allowed to pursue international study opportunities outside of those offered by Notre Dame or Saint Mary's College during the academic year. Students are able to study abroad through another university during the summer. This option is treated as summer school and students receive academic credit for their courses. Students interested in this option should speak with an advisor to plan which courses to take and to begin the course approval process.

Miscellaneous questions

Q: What is an exam conflict and how do I get my exam times changed?

A: Exam conflicts include the following:

If your exam schedule fits any of these scenarios, come to 101 Mendoza. An advisor will give you an exemption form to move one exam.

Q: May I take a summer course at another university?

A: Students who would like to transfer a course from another university must receive pre-approval from the appropriate academic department  before doing so. A maximum of two courses (up to eight credits) may be taken at another school each summer.  A grade of B or better must be earned in order to receive transfer credit for the course. See an advisor for the necessary forms and additional information. All business courses must be taken at Notre Dame.

Q: I took a course over the summer and need to send in my transcript. Where do I send it?

A: Transcripts should be sent to Asst. Dean Dale Nees, 101 Mendoza College of Business, Notre Dame, IN 46556.

Q: I am going to be interning over the summer. May I get academic credit for this?

A: Yes.  Please refer to the detailed explanation regarding internship credit which can be found here

Q. I am not able to attend classes full time. Is it possible to be a part-time student?

A. You may attend Notre Dame as a part-time student in your final semester only. Part-time is defined as less than than 12 credits being taken at the main campus.  Make an appointment to see an advisor to discuss this option and its consequences.

Q. May I take business classes on a pass/fail basis?

A. No.  Juniors and seniors may take one elective pass/fail each semester. All business classes, even those beyond the requirements or outside your major, must be taken for a grade.  Students may designate an eligible elective as pass/fail during the first six class days using the online request form available on the MCOB UG tab on insideND. The deadline is 5:00 p.m. on the 6th class day of the semester.  The full pass/fail policy is posted on the Registrar's website and the MCOB UG tab. 

Q. What is a “prerequisite”?

A. A prerequisite is a requirement or prior condition that must be met before taking a course. Typically, it refers to another course that must be completed before you can register for the course in question.

Q. What is an “attribute”?

A. Specific course attributes are codes that are assigned to courses to flag them as being approved to meet certain University requirements. In Class Search, you can search by course attribute to find classes that will fulfill your requirements such as 2nd THEO, 2nd PHIL or FA/LIT.

CPA Exam and 150-Hour Rule

Q. What is the 150-hour rule?

A. The 150-hour rule is a state educational requirement for Certified Public Accountants. The rules exist on a state-by-state basis. While not all states have such a requirement, typically 150 hours of college credits with an accounting concentration are necessary to sit for the CPA examination.

Q. Do Notre Dame accountancy majors need 150 hours to graduate?

A. Absolutely Not.The Notre Dame undergraduate accountancy major degree requirements are completely independent of the 150-hour rule.

Q. How will the 150-hour rule affect job opportunities for accountancy majors?

A. Accountancy majors always enjoy great success in finding excellent employment opportunities. CPA firms continue to hire 4-year graduates and design creative ways for employees to get the additional hours. The largest CPA firms (Big 4) also provide diverse professional services, so not everyone that works for these firms is a CPA. Many financial, consulting, and other business firms hire Notre Dame 4-year accountancy graduates. Accountancy majors get jobs that are integral parts of financial reporting, operations management, systems design, financial management and strategy, and many others.

Q. How does Notre Dame help accountancy majors meet the 150-hour rule?

A. We offer a two-semester MS in Accountancy degree that serves this purpose and provides an excellent program suited to a variety of business-related career choices. Graduates of the MS in Accountancy program are in very high demand. Currently, many scholarships are available to help defray tuition costs. Students may begin the MS in Accountancy program in either the spring or fall semester.

Q. Why do CPA's need 150 hours of college-level education?

A. CPA's are increasingly being sought as business and systems advisors to solve diverse and unstructured problems. The 150-hour rule aims to provide students with the education needed to meet these challenges.

Q. How do I find out what Courses I need to take, and what I need to do, in order to sit for the CPA exam?

A. Contact the State Board of Accountancy in the state(s) where you are thinking about sitting for the examination. Addresses and contact information, as well as general requirement data, may be found by linking to the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy website ( Students may also obtain valuable information by calling 1-800-CPA-EXAM and requesting information for specific states.

Visit the Department  of Accountancy Office (102C Mendoza College of Business) for advising and handouts.

Course Advising : Undergraduate and Graduate Accountancy
CPA Exam Eligibility and State Licensing Requirements Advising:

Jamie O'Brien, Assistant Chairman and Associate Professional Specialist, (574) 631-9100,

Other Contacts:
Michael Morris, Director of M.S. in Accountancy Program, (574) 631-9732, Email:
Professor Fred Mittelstaedt, Chairman, Dept. of Accountancy, (574) 631-5081, Email:
Dena DeLaurentis, Department Assistant, Dept. of Accountancy, (574) 631-7324, Email: