NONprofit Business Excellence: Leadership Through Learning
In Partnership with Cicero Youth Task Force
Nonprofit leaders in Cicero, Ill., a west suburban Chicago community, found success with their passion for the social dimension of their work, but they lacked strategic and managerial business skills.
To formalize the management education of community nonprofit leaders and provide each with a “toolbox” to accomplish change within their organizations and develop high-vision leadership.
Program Design and Format:
The Cicero Youth Task Force and Notre Dame nonprofit executive programs staff designed an annual, two-week certification program to be held within the community. Program topics have included:
- Creating a mission statement and strategic plan for your organization.
- Dealing with common human resources challenges in the nonprofit sector, such as hiring, corrective actions, professional development, federal guidelines, recruiting and preserving institutional knowledge in a high turnover environment.
- Effectively marketing your organization by protecting your brand, controlling your message and gaining consumer input.
- Crafting organizational messages for the media and communicating potentially damaging situations.
- Advocating for the organization and influencing governmental policies and processes
- Writing the successful grant proposal; fundraising strategies
- Assuring quality through program design and evaluation and adhering to continuous quality assurance and improvement principles.
After a successful first year of Leadership Through Learning with 38 participants from the Cicero community, the Cicero Youth Task Force and Notre Dame Nonprofit Professional Development partnered for a second session the next year.